- Dr. Renée G. Soule
12 Steps of Eco-Recovery
Online Every Friday Morning: Eco-Recovery Program
Recovering from Excesses of Modernity & Restoring Innate Ecological Belonging
1. We admitted we were powerless over the loss of our indigenous nature and innate ecological belonging—that the damage that we were causing to our world and ourselves had become unmanageable.
2. Came to believe that mysterious power and intelligence of Nature could restore us to sanity and belonging.
3. Made a decision to align our will with the sacred laws of wild nature as we perceived, understood, and experienced them, trusting this alignment will evolve.
4. Made a searching and fearless moral inventory of ourselves as earth citizens.
5. Admitted to Life, to ourselves, and to another human being the exact nature of our misperceptions and wrongs.
6. Were entirely ready for the power of Nature to evolve outmoded survival strategies and clarify our perception.
7. Humbly bowed down to the creative forces of life to remove our shortcomings.
8. Made a list of all persons, creatures, and earthly entities we had harmed and became willing to make amends to them all.
9. Made direct amends wherever possible, except when to do so would cause further harm.
10. Continued to take personal & ecological inventory, and when we were wrong or causing harm, we promptly admitted it.
11. Paused, bowed down, and reflected—listening for ways to improve our conscious contact with the creative force of life, praying only for knowledge of Nature’s expression through us and as us, and the power to carry that out.
12. Having had a spiritual experience as a result of these Steps, we tried to carry this possibility to others and to restore broken ecological belonging in all our affairs.